Tuesday, July 21, 2009

handmade camera



















When I went to Japan last year I bought three different camera kits - each one makes a plastic and cardboard pinhole camera which takes 35mm film, though each is slightly different. For some reason it has taken me over a year to sit down and make one of the cameras. Now that I have made one, I am really excited about making the rest!



















All of the instructions for this camera were in Japanese, but they were easy to follow because of incredibly clear diagrams. Also, each piece in the kit had a corresponding number on the instructions. Lucky, because there must have been 50 different pieces!



















The camera is held together with small plastic stickers, and is constructed of cardboard and plastic. The pinhole itself is f130, which requires about a 2-3 second exposure in sunlight with 100ISO film.

I shot a roll of film yesterday and it was quite challenging to hold the camera steady for such long exposures, even when leaning on a fence or the ground. I'll be getting the printed photos back tomorrow - and will be sure to post some online. Even if the results aren't great, I am totally in love with this camera just because of how cute it is.

No comments: