Tuesday, February 9, 2010

the crystal lake

Today I finished a new artwork for my Tiny Pieces series.


I've called it The Crystal Lake because I have been rediscovering my love of the band Grandaddy lately. The Sophtware Slump is still one of my favourite albums more than ten years after its release. I like how the entire album is themed around a concept without it being a 'concept album'. I feel like the album is set in the not too distant future in a post apocalypse where everything is pretty much the same in terms of geography and politics but all the computers and machines have broken down and the divide between human and animal habitat has ended. Squirrels make homes in refrigerators in kitchens and plants are growing out of cathode ray tube monitors in empty office blocks.

This artwork isn't about any of that. If anything this is pre-technology, not post-technology.

I've made a print of The Crystal Lake available in my shop.

No comments: